[Astronews] New Email Server for the IAAS Monthly Astronomy Newsletter

IAAS Monthly Astronomy Newsletter astronews at ki0ar.com
Wed Nov 2 14:58:29 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,
As you all may be well aware, I have been having some issues lately with the Freelists email server I have been using for quite some time now.

First, I would like to apologize for the numerous copies of my newsletter that you may have been receiving. I myself have a personal email address on the list and have been receiving these copies as well, and not in a timely fashion either. I originally sent out my newsletter on the evening of the 31st, twice. Neither of these newsletters was received on time. I did receive one of those copies this morning. I resent the newsletter yesterday morning,expecting it to go out but it too did not go through until later in the afternoon. I sent another copy, thinking it was the attachment that was causing the problem, so I sent a copy without the attachment. It too was not received until 6 hours later, I also received the same copy again this morning. I myself am getting "spammed" by my own newsletter. Needless to say, I too am upset with this situation and Freelists. So I have decided to change list servers. This leads to my next point.

Second, with Freelists not behaving like it should for several times now, I have created a new email list server under my own internet account. Now I have much more control over what I can do with it and I learn something new - win-win. I have migrated all of my previous subscribers to the new list server, this is transparent to most of you, just as long as you continue to receive my newsletter in the future (1 copy only!!!!) and in a timely manner. I sent out my newsletter from the new server yesterday at 4:35 pm and that one should be time-stamped at 4:35 pm as was my own copy. The subject of the newsletter from the new server is and will be in the future as "[Astronews] IAAS Monthly Astronomy Newsletter" from "astronews at ki0ar.com". The footer at the bottom of the newsletter will contain the following lines as well:
Astronews mailing list
Astronews at ki0ar.com

Go to http://ki0ar.com/mailman/listinfo/astronews_ki0ar.com to find out more. At the bottom of the page is the "Astronews Subscribers" section - enter your email address and click the "Unsubscribe or edit options" button. Here you may check out your subscription options, including unsubscribing, which I sincerely hope you do not do. Lower down on the left of the page is a spot - "Forgotten your Password?" Click "Email My Password To Me" button to get a temporary password and return to this page to change your password if your wish. Since I migrated all of you over at once, you may not have a password, so I recommend you change/create a password for yourself so that you may change your subscription options further down on the "Options" page.

Third, I have received several emails from several loyal subscribers with counts of the number of newsletters they have received this month. Can anyone beat 10 copies? :-) I have also received notice of some bad links as well. Please keep these emails coming. Sometimes I don't have the time to check all the links myself and some go bad over time that were once good. I appreciate this kind of feedback very much. I want to continue to make this a worthwhile newsletter for you to receive and to continue to read all the way through.

Fourth, I am thinking of sending out a questionnaire in the near future, with questions on what you like/don't like, what might be added/deleted, topics, new sections etc concerning the newsletter.

Finally, please delete the multiple copies of the newsletter that have been sent from "freelists.org", and again please accept my profuse apologies for all the copies.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me at ki0ar at ki0ar.com. Please DO NOT reply to this email but directly to my ki0ar at ki0ar.com email address, thank you.

Sincerely,
Burness Ansell
Publisher, IAAS Monthly Astronomy Newsletter